Slavery was initiated in North America in 1619 and lasted until the passage and ratification of the Fifteenth Amendment to the US Constitution in 1870. During the 251 intervening years, there were numerous events, laws, and compromises that directly impacted slaves, slaveholders, freemen, abolitionists, politicians, and lawmakers.
In this assignment, you will gain a greater understanding of how slavery took over the entire nation. You will have an opportunity to examine the growth and demise of this institution.
Using your research and analysis of the Argosy University online library resources, the Internet, and the readings for this module, complete the following:
- Identify five major events, laws, compromises, or proclamations associated with slavery in the American colonies and, later, the United States. Be sure to select five items other than the initiation of slavery in 1619 and the passage and ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment.
- Select any one of these five identified items. Research at least two scholarly articles that provide additional details beyond your textbook about the one item you have selected.
- Write a paper that addresses the following:
- Prepare a timeline of the five significant events, laws, compromises, or proclamations you have chosen. The timeline must identify elements such as the date, details of the event, law, etc.
- Explain why each of the five identified items is significant. Include the social and political impact of each item in your explanation.
- Describe the specific item you selected for further research in detail.
- Explain why you consider this event, law, compromise, or proclamation as the most significant.
Be sure to support your statements with scholarly references on a separate reference page.
Write a 4-5-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources