For this discussion, use your own Android device or an emulated Android device. If you’ve not already set up Android Studio’s phone emulator, complete Real Problem 9-1 before completing this project. This project requires you to use a legitimate email account. If you don’t already have one you can use, you can create a free email account of your choice using email providers such as Gmail, Outlook, or Yahoo.
Follow these steps to manually configure the email client on a mobile device:
- Open the Gmail app and then tap Add another email address. Gmail can automatically configure email from many providers. Because it’s essential that you know how to manually configure email on a mobile device, tap Other.
- Add your email address and tap MANUAL SETUP. Check with your email provider to determine whether to use POP3 or IMAP. What’s the main difference between these two protocols? What are the ports for these two protocols? What are the secure ports for these protocols?
- Enter the password, check Keep me signed in, and tap Sign in. On the next screen, tap Yes to agree to the needed permissions.
- Add the incoming server settings for your email provider, or check the server suggested by the Gmail app. Which incoming email server are you required to use? When you’re ready, tap NEXT.
- Add the outgoing server settings for your email provider, or check the server suggested by the Gmail app. Which outgoing email server are you required to use? When you’re ready, tap NEXT.
- Set your account options as desired, then tap NEXT.
- If you were successful, you’ll get a notice confirming that your account is set up. Set the account name and your name as desired, then tap NEXT. If you weren’t successful, backtrack and troubleshoot to solve the problem.
- When you’re finished, send an email to a classmate, and check an email sent from someone else to confirm that your email account is working on your smartphone.
- It is important to know how to change the settings on an account. What steps are required to change the server settings for the account you just added?
- You should also know how to remove an email account from a mobile device. What steps are required to remove the email account you just added?
Write a response in a minimum of 175 words summarizing your experience and answering the questions above. Why do you think it is important to practice these steps? How will this experience and other practice experiences help you in your career?