Unit 5: Writer’s Journal
- Due Friday by 11:59pm
- Points 15
- Submitting a file upload
- File Types doc, docx, pdf, jpg, and, and gif
For this unit’s Writer’s Journal, use the “They Say / I Say” technique to start developing your working thesis for this unit’s writing assignment.
Select one of the following templates as a starting point to compose an opening paragraph for your major writing assignment this unit. “Plug in” language that relates to your argument, and try to create an effective beginning to your essay.
- Common sense seems to dictate that __________. However, a deeper consideration suggests that _________ is true.
- The standard way of thinking about Topic X has it that __________.
- In discussions of X, one controversial issue has been __________. On the one hand, __________ argues __________. On the other hand, __________ contends __________. Others even maintain __________. My own view is __________.
- When it comes to the topic of __________, most of us will readily agree that __________. Where this agreement usually ends, however, is on the question of __________. Whereas some are convinced that __________, others maintain that __________.
After using one of these templates to compose a paragraph, write 1-2 paragraphs reflecting on the experience. What was it like to write with templates? Did you find it enjoyable? Why or why not? Was it difficult? How so? How do you think that these templates could be useful to your writing in the future?