Term Paper Guidelines
Your 6 page term paper is due at the end of Week 7. Visit the APUS online library. They have electronic rights to JSTOR, which is a journal storage database. It contains solid, scholarly, referred articles on which you can rely for accurate information. This is the opposite of the “fast food” Wikipedia. You may not use Wikipedia as a reference for your paper.
Choose one artist or architect that is listed in your book and fully discuss them. Your paper should include a 2 page biography of the artist/architect. In addition the paper should include a description, formal analysis, and interpretation of 2 works of art/architecture by that artist. The works you choose do not have to be covered in the book, but your artist/architect must be.
Each analysis should be 2 pages in length and cannot be a work of art we have discussed in Forums. The analysis portion of this assignment must follow the Writing a Critique format you used for your Museum Paper.
Therefore, you must deliver in MLA Style:
- A 2 page biography of your artist
- A 2 page description, formal analysis, and interpretation of the first work of art
- A 2 page description, formal analysis, and interpretation for the second work of art
- In a conclusion, tell me why you chose this artist
- A Bibliography with 6 reference sources: 2 journals, 2 books minimum.
- DO NOT USE YOUR BOOK as a reference.
- DO NOT USE WIKIPEDIA as a reference.
- You may use Museum websites or other scholarly sources.
- NO “next door neighbor’s” websites.
- Give me good research, not mythological musings from someone.
- Use double spacing, approx 250 words on a page (Arial 10 or Times-New Roman 12).
- Remember to write your paper in a Word doc.
- You may include images if you wish.
DO NOT FORGET: Use your Writing a Critique Art Notes that is in your Week 1 Lesson for the analysis and description and interpretation. This is a formal research paper, written in the third person, but I would like you to end with why you chose this artist. REMEMBER: you need to deliver 6 pages of text at 250 words per page, and use MLA. If you are unfamiliar with MLA, review it on the APUS online library website.
Wikipedia note: It is an unjuried source, meaning that anyone can post there, even those who know nothing about the subject. AMU has a great library for source material. Start there.
Internet Sources to use as you wish:
Purdue OWL Writing Resources
Miracosta LibraryMLA Style Samples
Here is a sampling of internet sources for your use:
(Links may not work, so copy and paste)
Art and Architecture Sites:
Louvre Museum in France
Metropolitan Museum in New York
The National Gallery
Musee d’Orsay Home Page
The Musee Matisse in Nice, France
The Andy Warhol Museum
Artists of any era up to the late 19th century
Buildings by Frank Lloyd Wright
Architecture of any era
Of course you may do an internet search for any of your artists/architects, JUST KEEP THEM SCHOLARLY.
The Term Paper is a research paper with analysis. It is worth 100 points.
60 points: If the student demonstrates a clear understanding of the topic being discussed and addresses all required points in the writing prompt
20 points: If the student follows the Writing a Critique Guide provided for the analysis portion
10 points: If the student has proper formatting in MLA Style
10 points: If the student has no spelling or grammatical errors
Leave a reply