Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and the any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
This week students will be completing a PowerPoint presentation in two parts.
Student’s State Law:
Students should research their state’s law and then describe the following topics: Living Will, DNR, Power of Attorney, Spouse/Partner Rights, Euthanasia, Patient Self-Determination. Use the following guideline for the presentation.
- Title page (1 slide)
- Living Will (1-2 slides)
- DNR (1-2 slides)
- Power of Attorney (1-2 slides)
- Spouse or Partner’s Rights in decision making (1-2 slides)
- Euthanasia: Active, Passive, Voluntary, and Involuntary (4-6 slides)
- Patient Self-Determination Act of 1990 (1-2 slides)
For the above, students must address: who needs to sign, if a medical evaluation is needed, does the document expires, what rights does the person has, what treatment options does the document cover.
For the second part of this presentation, address this Case Study:
Brittany Maynard, a 29-year-old with terminal brain cancer decides to uproot her family from California to Oregon so she could die with dignity. Brittany’s story was covered by the news and on Nov. 1, 2014, she did end her life and suffered from physician-assisted suicide.
- Research and provide your own background of the story (2-3 slides)
- Research Oregon’s Death with Dignity Act and discuss: who is eligible, and what steps need to be followed (2-3 slides)
- Do you feel Brittany opened a door to many people suffering from a terminal disease? Do you feel health professionals should discuss this option with their patients, why or why not? (2-3 slides)
- Do you feel this is a personal decision that needs to be made by the individual, and that healthcare professionals need to respect the patient’s wishes? (1-2 slides)
For the presentation, ensure information is referenced and cited in your slides. The presentation should start with a title slide and end with reference slides. At least 3 references are required for this assignment. You must include at least 5 pictures or graphics. All pictures or graphics taken from outside sources must be referenced and cited.
- Length: At least 17 slides
- Use the tips at http://www.garrreynolds.com/preso-tips/design/ to create the slideshow.
- Because good PowerPoints have very few words, submit a script that describes the content of each slide – about 50 words per slide. Place this script in a separate Word document that shows each slide number and the text for each slide as shown in the provided PowerPoint Slide Notes.docx.
- Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA style
- References: References are required. You should include the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions
- Format: save your assignment as a Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt or .pptx)