According to the AACN (2006) Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, DNP graduates are distinguished by their abilities to use information systems/technology to support and improve patient care and healthcare systems and provide leadership within healthcare systems and/or academic settings” (p. 12).
Reflect on the AACN DNP “Essential IV: Information Systems/Technology and Patient Care Technology for the Improvement and Transformation of Health Care” and your own technology experience and answer the following.
- What were your initial thoughts on reading the AACN Information Systems/Technology Essentials for the DNP graduate?
- Did you find any of the essentials surprising? Why or Why not?
- Describe the changes you have seen in your practice setting over the past five years that have been brought about by the use of technology and evidence-based practice.
- Describe the changes you expect to see in your practice setting over the next five years based on technology.
- How have these changes affected nursing practice in your setting?