2-1 Discussion: Development of the Social SelfDiscussion Topic Starts Oct 30, 2021 11:59 PM
Our ability to integrate the information we receive from others and interact within social contexts involves skills that are acquired throughout our development. In this module, you are exploring the emergence of social behavior during childhood and how it contributes to the development of the social self.
First, title your post “Development of the Social Self.”
- Based on the content in “A Class Divided,” are children immune to the attitudes and behaviors of other group members? Explain.
- In what ways might important developmental milestones influence social development in childhood?
- Based on psychological evidence, should antisocial behavior in adulthood be primarily blamed on impaired socialization as a child? If so, what types of interventions might help to remediate these impairments? If not, what do you think leads to adult antisocial behavior?
- Can you teach children tolerance and inclusiveness if they are already indoctrinated by societal intolerance? What if the children in “A Class Divided” had never had a follow-up class explaining brown eyes as an indicator of the smart people?
- How does the concept of development of the social self apply to any of the following programmatic course themes:
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections