Signature Assignment: Pernicious Anemia Case AnalysisTeri goes to see her PCP after feeling depressed last couple of months as well as experiencing a seizure earlier this week. The physician orders a few test, results are shown below:
- Low hematocrit
- Low levels of Vit B12
- Low Oxygen levels
- Presence of autoantibodies against the parietal cell
- Peripheral blood smear shows abnormal RBC (large pale RBCs)
After viewing the results, Teri is diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia; a condition in which autoantibodies destroys the parietal cells found within the stomach.Address each of the following regarding Teri’s case:
- Since the parietal cell is destroyed, which substance(s) is Teri lacking as a consequence?
- What is the correlation between destruction of parietal cells and Vit B12 deficiency?
- Due to her condition, Teri lacks Pepsin. Explain why.
- If Teri were healthy, explain what her RBCs would look like?
- What is hematocrit?
- Low oxygen levels stimulate her body to create new RBCs by stimulating which process? Explain that process in depth.
- What protein transports oxygen in our body and explain its structure?
- What cell secretes antibodies and explain the various functions of antibodies.
- What are the different types of antibodies and give two characteristics for each?
- Explain the structure of an immunoglobulin.
- Support your opinions with evidence from your readings and research.
- You must reference a minimum of three (3) scholarly sources in your paper, which includes one non-Internet source.
- Use current APA Style to format your paper and to cite your sources.
- Your paper/total responses must be 3– to 4-pages in length not including the title page, abstract, and reference pages.
- Title page: Case Title, Full Name, Section, Date, Instructor and Campus
- Abstract: Summarize the case in a paragraph
- Introduction: The physiological importance of the digestive system, immune system, and cardiovascular system for the proper functioning of the human body
- Body: Organize your analysis with headings that thoroughly answer the prompts
- Conclusion: Summarize the paper in a paragraph