Managing Projects-Best Practices and Personal Performance Analysis
In this assignment, you will be assessed based on the following Course Outcomes:
GB560-2: Apply project management methods to achieve a process change.
PC-2.1: Achieve goals through planning and prioritization.
Kogon, Blakemore, and Wood (2015) note that for many workers in the current business environment, an increasing amount of time is spent working on or leading projects. This assignment is intended to help you understand the primary elements of the project management process, how you can choose a project management methodology that will be the best fit for your project, and the skills you will need to be a successful project leader. In your readings and videos for this unit, as well as personal experience for many of you, you have discovered that there are many variables to successfully managing a project. The project management methodology chosen for a project must reflect the organization’s requirements to ensure success. Included in these variables are the size and complexity of the project, the process used to manage a project, and the skills that are needed to successfully complete the project.
For this 4- to 6-page APA-compliant paper (not including title and reference pages) respond to the following:
Section 1 – Project Management Overview
- Using your unit readings and videos, and at least two additional sources, which can be from non-scholarly sources, describe the factors that may be used to select a project management methodology.
- Identify at least three project management methodologies that you are most interested in learning more about. These can be from your research or personal experience. Provide an overview of these methodologies, and include but do not limit to:
- Primary use for this methodology
- Types of projects this methodology is best suited to
- Technology support provided
- Formal project management expertise required, or skills needed
- Present an analysis of similarities and differences in these three project management methodologies. As a project leader, completing this type of assessment will help you understand which method you may want to select the next time you lead a project.
Section 2 – Personal Project Selection and Analysis
- Identify any recent projects you have worked on over the past year, they could be of any size and in any context. They can be from work-related or personal experience.
- For this section, you will need to select two types of projects, one that was successful and one that was unsuccessful. You may want to select projects from different areas of your experience (i.e., one work-related, another from personal experience). Using different types of projects can help you understand the applications of the work you have completed in Section 1.
- Personal Analysis – Successful Project
- Describe the project including the size, scope, personal/professional, your role, project charter (if any), timeframes for project duration, other information seen as relevant to describing the project.
- Identify the project management elements and/or methodology you used to manage this project. The research you completed in Section 1 will be helpful to you.
- List the skills you demonstrated to help the project be successful. List the skills that you could have used to increase the project’s success.
- After this review, complete an analysis of where you may have been more successful.
- Personal Analysis – Unsuccessful Project
- Describe the project including the size, scope, personal/professional, your role, project charter (if any), timeframes for project duration, and other information seen as relevant to describing the project.
- Identify the project management elements and/or methodology you used to manage this project(s). The research you completed in Section 1 will be helpful to you.
- Analyze the project for areas of weakness using the research you completed in Section 1 and personal reflection.
- Identify what skills were needed to overcome the weak areas using the research you completed in Section 1 and personal reflection.
- Present at least two recommendations for improvement, supported by your research in Section 1, and personal experiences. Include the strengths identified from the project that was managed successfully.
Kogon, K., Blakemore, S., & Wood, J. (2015). Project management for the unofficial project manager. BenBella Books. https://libauth.purdueglobal.edu/sso/skillport?context=88735
- All papers must be submitted in the current APA format. The Academic Success Center provides good resources and writing tutors for any additional support you will need.
- All elements of the assignment must be covered to receive full credit.
- Research sources, unless specified by the rubric will be considered scholarly sources.
For a review and tutorial on how to write a scholarly source and APA-compliant paper, review Getting Started with APA Style from the Academic Writer resource located in the left navigation of your course.
Need additional assistance on evaluating information and sources? Visit the Purdue Global Library videos and tutorials page, which provides many valuable resources.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
Compose your assignment as a Microsoft® Word® document and save it with your first name initial and last name (Example: JDoe-GB560 Assignment-Unit 6.docx). Submit your file by selecting the Unit 6 Assignment Dropbox by the end of the unit.
Leave a reply