Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapters 9 and 10 from the required textbook. Select and then define a significant social issue faced by the justice system, evaluate the scope and consequences of the issue, and analyze society’s responses to the issue (including public policies and other less formal responses). Papers should also present a clearly reasoned alternative, supported by scholarly research.
While the following example can be modified to suit your needs, this outline is likely to result in a high-quality Final Paper:
- Identify the problem. Be sure to narrow your problem enough to allow a focused examination.
- Describe the individual, social, and criminal justice system implications of this problem. Discussion of implications should be supported by accurate research data.
- Summarize what experts say about the problem.
- Explain what you, as a society, have done to remedy this problem. Consider public policies and other, less formal responses.
- Analyze to what extent public policies and other, less formal responses are effective in addressing this problem.
- Propose an alternative solution to the problem.
- Analyze why the alternative is or can be, an effective response to the problem. Remember to consider the negative consequences of the alternative response.
- Conclude with your thoughts about your chosen social problem. This is a good place to include personal opinions, assuming you wish to share them in a research paper.
In short, define a problem, discuss the response, and provide alternative responses to the problem. For example, your problem could be drug use/abuse, with a focus on prescription drug abuse among teenagers. Your description of the problems should be fact based, relying on expert opinion. Your alternative response can be an adjustment to the current policy or a new direction. For example, you may propose longer prison sentences or the legalization of all drugs. Be creative, although suggestions must be supported by scholarly research.
Social issue: human trafficking
The Final Paper
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.