Unit 2 introduces some basic analysis methods, ideas for gathering data, and the creativity needed in looking for solutions to client problems. Make sure you investigate all parts of the unit for activities and requirements before posting or completing graded work.
Food for thought:
- What is the advantage to having an organized methodology in evaluating business opportunities?
- In what ways can you use software tools to organize and present complex ideas?
- Why are visual representations of ideas powerful?
Scenario No. 1
Holliman Veterinary Hospital has considered advertising on the radio and in newspapers in their community, but now has contacted you about the possibility of developing a better Web presence. HVH is located in an area of about a half million people; there are many other veterinarians, so competition for clients can be fierce. The hospital’s current “website” consists of a homepage created on a free template, some random photos, and minimal information such as the address, phone, and email contact.
Scenario No. 2
Phillips Insurance Company has offices in seven cities, and has contacted you about their aging network infrastructure. The security of company and client data is always of primary concern. The company is contemplating an agent training through delivery of video and live class sessions on an intranet, but the current network is not capable of handling it. There is concern about the use of both hardware and software by the trainers themselves as they develop a program, and again, there is a concern about keeping company secrets from competitors.
Scenario No. 3
WLAB Television station is located in a medium-sized town in which there are three stations. The board of directors largely satisfied with the technology in the studio as well as the station’s website, where there is a link to a national weather outlet so that local customers can download an application to monitor current conditions and receive warnings. They have contacted you because they are contemplating the development of their own weather application.
Scenario No. 4
Cassel Scout Productions is a talent agency specializing in the promotion of actors, singers, and dancers. The company has a database to house both agent and performer data plus performance Assignments, but there is difficulty in gathering information for meaningful reports and it often seems like additional data about performers might be useful. The company has contacted you to determine if the current database could be reworked or if they should start over with a new database before the amount of data is too large to handle.
Your Assignment should be composed in a two-page APA formatted Word document. Your Assignment does not require an abstract page but does require a cover page and separate reference page. Consider using SWOT Analysis Worksheet template.
Part 1: SWOT Analysis
Choose just one of the scenarios above.
- Provide an appropriate paper subheading.
- Write an introductory statement to this section before presenting your SWOT analysis. Do not simply say you “chose scenario no. 2” – write as if the reader is unaware of the Assignment instructions.
- Organize your SWOT analysis on the page by either using a table or a bulleted list. Make sure it is clear which answer explains the strengths, which one answers the weaknesses, etc.
- Do not use sources for this part of the Assignment; write entirely in your own words.
Part 2: Visual explanations of potential solutions using Visio
First, provide an appropriate paper subheading.
Using the same scenario that you chose for SWOT analysis, prepare one of the following to show the options for what you can do for this client. Prepare this in Visio and embed (not link) in your Word document.
Choose one of the following to draw in Visio:
- Flowchart – A minimum of nine shapes must be included; the flowchart must be created using standard flowcharting shapes, symbols, and methodology.
- Cause and Effect Fishbone diagram – The reading this week refers to Figure 5.2 in the text; your fishbone diagram should have approximately the same amount of detail as in that example.
Part 3: Research and paraphrasing information
This part is unrelated to the chosen scenario. The textbook introduces STEEPLE, Value Chain analysis, the Balanced Scorecard, and the Ansoff Matrix. Choose one of these and use either the textbook or another academically suitable source for this part of the Assignment in which you will explain the method:
- Provide an appropriate paper subheading
- Describe the method in your own words; do not quote from your sources.
- Write at least 70 words.
- Write in full sentences.
- Include an in-text citation to identify the source of your information.
Include a Reference page with an APA-formatted entry for the source you used in Part 3 above.
- Subheadings should be short phrases that describe the content. Do not copy Assignment instructions or questions; doing so does not prove an understanding of main ideas.
- Do not copy or quote any part of this Assignment in your paper.