SALES PITCH MINI SPEECH
Choose a real or fictitious product or service to sell to the class (e.g., lighted tennis shoes, electric ear muffs, battery-powered nose warmers, internet dating services, robot-cleaning services, alcohol-powered cars, colored peanut butter, a planetarium laser show, a concert, a local health spa membership, or an outdoor adventure center activity).
Prepare a short 1-2 minute sales pitch speech that includes all 5 steps of Monroe’s motivated sequence: Attention, Need, Solution, Visualization, Call to Action. (Read about the motivated sequence in Chapter 16 on pages 321-322 in your text.) Use strong positive and negative motivational appeals based on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs (read the Persuasive Supplemental handout in Learning Activities in Session 11).
EXPECTATIONS & EVALUATION CRITERIA:
1. Be sure each part of the motivated sequence is covered and that you use motivational appeals based on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.
2. You will NOT need to complete a preparation outline for this speech, but DO prepare and submit a speaking outline with key words to jog your memory while delivering your speech. Attach this with your video in Connect. If you complete the worksheet on the next page, you can use this as your speaking outline and submit it with your video.
3. Practice your speech several times so you know it well and know it fits the time requirements.
4. Your classmates will serve as your audience for this speech. (no need to gather one)
5. You should be standing up while delivering this speech and your camera shot should be from your waist up. Make sure we can hear you well, that there is adequate lighting to see you, and that your environment is free of distractions while you record your speech.
6. Have FUN with this assignment. Feel free to make things up and be silly. The point of the exercise if for you to become familiar with Monroe’s Motivated Sequence and motivational appeals before you deliver your formal Persuasive speech.
7. This assignment is worth up to 25 points.
SALES PITCH MINI SPEECH WORKSHEET
SPECIFIC PURPOSE: To persuade my audience to ____________________________________________.
ATTENTION STEP (get listener’s attention):
Motivator (Relate to audience. How will your product/service benefit them?)
I. NEED STEP or Problem (Establish a clear need for the product, but do not mention the product.)
II. SATISFACTION STEP or Solution (Identify how your plan will satisfy their needs.)
III. VISUALIZATION STEP or Benefits and Consequences of NOT purchasing (Give the audience a sense of what will happen if they do or do NOT buy your product.)
A. BENEFITS: Positive Motivational Appeals – Remind audience how wonderful it will be if they buy.
B. CONSEQUENCES: Negative Motivational Appeals – Remind audience how awful it will be for them if they do NOT buy.
Signal ending with a signpost:
Summarize the main points:
CALL TO ACTION STEP: Give the audience clear steps on how and where to buy this product.
GRADING RUBRIC FOR SALES PITCH MINI-SPEECH
Name: __________________________________ Date: _______________ Class Time: _______________
________ (%) POINTS EARNED
___ ATTENTION STEP: Captured attention & related to audience’s needs
BODY: ORGANIZATION & DEVELOPMENT
___ NEED STEP: Clearly explained problem and related it to audience’s needs
___ SATISFACTION STEP: Clearly explained solution and satisfaction of needs
___ VISUALIZATION STEP: Presented strong benefits and/or consequences
___ Clearly used motivated sequence organization
___ Used smooth transitions
___ ACTION STEP: Boldly called audience to take a specific action or __ Needed a stronger call
___Strong eye contact & extemporaneous delivery
___ Sounded conversational __ Sounded passionate and persuasive
___ Projected voice so all could hear __ Spoke too soft __ Spoke too loud
___ Used audience-inclusive language __ Avoided slang or profanity
___ Fulfilled time requirement
___ Speaking outline complete with brief notes
Leave a reply