BIO 268 – Module 3 Homework Assignment
PART I: BACKGROUND ASSESSMENT
Directions: Answer each of the following questions. Your responses should be 3-5 sentences in length for each question.
1. How are the cephalosporins similar to the penicillins? Why is this important for a health care professional to know?
2. How do nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) work against the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)?
3. What are the signs and symptoms of allergic rhinitis and anaphylaxis?
4. Why might it be difficult to identify a true drug allergy?
5. What are the major functions of the skin?
6. What major skin problems may need to be treated with medications?
PART II: CRITICAL THINKING
Directions: Please provide responses to questions below. If necessary, please use examples or information from the textbook. Please use proper APA citation for any resources that you use. For concise APA formatting guidelines, please visit the Academic Resource Center (ARC). Your responses should be 1-2 paragraphs in length for each question.
1. The patient states to the health care professional, “After having taken 4 days of this antibiotic, I feel so much better. I heard that antibiotic medications could cause other problems, so maybe I should stop taking the antibiotic. Besides, I think my infection is gone now.” How should the health care professional respond to this patient?
2. Why should tetracycline use be avoided in pregnant women and children younger than 8 years old?
3. A 6-year-old boy comes into the clinic with sneezing and red, watery eyes. His mother says they just came from his cousin’s house, where he was playing with the cats. The physician orders cetirizine hydrochloride 5 mg to be taken every day as needed. What should the health care professional include when teaching the mother about controlling the allergy and proper medication use?
4. Why should the use of antihistamines be avoided in those working around machinery, when driving, or performing potentially hazardous activities?
5. A 16-year-old girl complains of vaginal itching. She has had several Pap smears that indicate she has candidiasis. Although she has been prescribed miconazole nitrate vaginal cream previously, she forgets to use the medication. She is afraid that her mother might find out and realize that she’s been sexually active. What are some options of treatment for this patient?
6. What is the goal of treatment for wound care?
PART III: LIRN ACTIVITY
Directions: After reading the LIRN articles included in Module 3 Lecture Notes, please answer each of the following questions. Each question should have a 2 to 3 paragraph response. Remember to support your work with APA references and in-text citations. Please visit the Academic Resource Center (ARC) for concise APA guidelines.
1. How does a demulcent agent differ from an emollient agent?
2. What is the best protection against sun damage? Explain in detail.
3. How are antioxidants useful in the treatment of dermatomic conditions?
4. How is acne treated? Explain in detail.
Leave a reply