MUST BE NEW AND ORIGINAL WORK. CANNOT BE USED BY OTHER STUDENTS! ALL POINTS MUST BE CLEARLY COVERED!! MUST BE IN APA FORMAT RELIABLE SOURCES ONLY!!
Select two of the scenarios in the Applications list 12.2 (a.-ff.) at the end of Ch. 12 in The Art of Thinking. Scenarios to chose are below vvvvv
In Chapter 12, Ruggerio discusses how to evaluate arguments on an issue. Choose an issue from the list below and determine if the argument is valid or has one of the 7 errors that the author explains in the chapter.
- Having great wealth is a worthy goal because it is difficult to attain and many famous people have pursued it.
- Low grades on a college transcript are a handicap in the job market, so teachers who grade harshly are doing students a disservice.
- It is dishonest to pretend to have knowledge one does not have, so plagiarism is more virtue than vice.
- Rock musicians are contributing to the decline of language by singing in a slurred, mumbling manner.
- The credit card habit promotes careless spending, particularly among young people. Therefore, credit card companies should not be permitted to issue credit cards to anyone under age 21.
Apply the following in a paper of 600 to 800 words for each scenario:
- Evaluate each argument, using the four-step process described on pp. 197-198, regarding soundness of reasoning (truth and validity).
- Explain your assessment, and add alternative argumentation where necessary.
Format your assignment according to appropriate course level APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
Important Note: This is not a personal opinion assignment. You are not being asked whether you agree or disagree with the statements in the text. You are being asked to evaluate the arguments as they are and determine errors of argumentation.